Monday, July 9, 2012

Sewing and garden update!

I'm obsessed with making these bags!


I seriously can't stop making them.
Eep, I really did iron the fabric, really!


I followed this tutorial from Noodlehead for both, with minor modifications. The purple bag is about 7x7" and the large one (those are tree rings on the design!) is about 11x11".


Untitled

I made this purple one yesterday and it turned out to be much smaller than I thought! It would make a great make up or notions bag. I used fusible interfacing and it worked pretty well. I think I will purchase a heavier fusible though.

So today I wanted to make a bag large enough to hold a knitting project, and this one does! It is super cute too; the fabric is really growing on me! 

Fits two skeins and socks


I used a sew-in interfacing, and it's much thicker than the fusible. They both work really well so it's hard for me to choose which one I prefer! The fusible interfacing was slightly easier to use because I didn't have to worry about it when sewing (lining it up...).


Untitled





Untitled

(lucky you, I discovered the manual focus setting on my camera!! close ups, here I come)

I really do have a lot to learn about sewing still. I am enjoying sewing up these little bags and I know they will be used plenty. Next bag, I'd like to sew a little loop hole for my finger.



knitting bags!



And now for the gardening...



Broccoli from a seed!!


The broccoli is growing! I am super pleased to say that all these plants pictured were grown from seeds by us! We had a minor occurrence with caterpillars eating holes in the leaves - but Scott pulled them off and we haven't seen them since.


California poppy grown from a seed!
California poppy... I was really pleased with this photo!

And the tomatoes... omg...

outgrowing the box...Ginormous tomato plant from a seed


They are a little hard to distinguish, they just look like a big green mess. There are three little green tomatoes growing on this plant! When we first planted the tomatoes in the box, they were teeny and right in the middle. Now they are pushing out the zinnias and marigolds! The planter on the right has three jalapeno plants which are loving the heat!

Goodnight, I'm off to read!!*



*I came across a list of books on Pinterest (no link, sorry. I'm staying away from Pinterest for awhile because I clicked a link there that gave me a nasty computer virus! I'm sure you could google the list) that were suggested reads if you enjoyed the Hunger Games. The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan and The Giver by Lois Lowry were two on the list, and I borrowed both from my library on the Kindle. So far about halfway through The Giver, pretty interesting but kind of a slow start. Goodnight!

ETA:  Oops! I wrote The Ligtning Thief as being written by Percy Jackson. Real author is Rick Riordan! Percy is the character.... :)

10 comments:

  1. those bags look fantastic!!!

    off to check the tutorial...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those bags are so great but I am put off by linings and zips, eek! Might check out the tutorial to see if it makes sense!

    LOVE the Percy Jackson books, have read them a few times each (notice the theme, like Harry Potter) and so has my 11 year old. Really good. I'm reading the Millenium trilogy just now, have you read them?

    Oh and very impressed by your gardening!

    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, definitely check out the tutorial because the lining and zip isn't hard at all! honest :)

      I am very excited to read the Percy Jackson books then! I might start the first one before I finish the Giver... I haven't read the Millenium trilogy, but I watched the first movie. Maybe a little too intense for me! :)

      Thanks! I think we are both a little surprised that everything is growing! Enjoy the rest of your week!

      Delete
  3. The Giver was one of my favorite books when I was a kid. We taught it to my students this year and got some of the most interesting class discussions I've ever led out of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear! It is a very thought-provoking book. I've just met the Giver, so I'm pretty curious to see how the rest of the lessons go :)

      Delete
  4. I love those bags! I believe you that your ironed the fabric. ;)
    They are the perfect size for projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andi! I've been using the larger bag a lot! It does need some sort of handle though...

      Delete
  5. great progress with the bags. nice work on those zippers too!

    isn't growing vegetables so rewarding? we do tomatoes and peppers too (plus herbs) but never broccoli. and you started it from seed! impressive :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I am itching to sew some more.

      Yes it is! What sort of peppers do you grow? I would like to grow more herbs. The broccoli has been fun to watch grow!

      Delete

Hello there! Thank you so much for your time ♥ I always respond to your comments directly on this page, so if you would like notification of this, please click Notify Me xx

♥ Thank you! ♥