Monday, March 26, 2012

Baldwin III

Remember my friend who asked for this monster for her nephew:





She wants two more for her boyfriend's nieces! They are two and six years old, and they each picked out color yarns they like the best. And of course, they both picked Red Heart.

Normally I have nothing against Red Heart or acrylic yarn. In fact, it's what I've primarily use to crochet my afghans. It's so durable, there are plenty of colors, and it's what my grandma used. But acrylic on wood needles? Blech. I had knit my friend's first Baldwin (with Red Heart) on my Knit Picks Harmony's, and it was tortuous. It squeaked, it stuck, and I swore never again.

And so I cried a little when my friend came over with two skeins of Red Heart. But since it's for the children, I went out and bought some double pointed aluminum needles. They worked great until I had to join feet with legs...and I caved and switched to the circular. But it's the same thing, sticking and squeaking, and I'm throwing in the towel.



I just put my Knit Picks order in for a set of US 6 nickel plated tips. Gosh, I hope they arrive soon!

4 comments:

  1. hehe- I completely understand the "cried a little bit". I am by no means a yarn snob, but wood needles and acrylic are not friends and they will fight you!
    I hope your needles come soon too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just received the tracking number, yay!! Thanks Andi, I hope they come soon too!!

      Delete
  2. Hello! I'm currently trying to knit a Rebecca Danger monster - Baldwin too! I'm wondering how you were able to move from the legs to the body? I have my legs on my circulars now, how do you start to magic loop the body? Thanks in advance for any tips! Your monsters look so great! Hope mine turns out as good as yours :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! To move from legs to knitting body, you must backward cast on stitches. So you are at the beginning of the round and you are knitting from the yarn ball now: you knit one leg A, then you backward cast on however many stitches it says, knit leg B. Turn your work and prepare your magic loop again: knit leg B, backward cast on x-amount of stitches, knit leg A.

      Does that help? You might youtube how to backward cast on. It's a little tricky at first but once you try it, you'll get the hang of it!

      Delete

Hello there! Thank you so much for your time ♥ I always respond to your comments directly on this page, so if you would like notification of this, please click Notify Me xx

♥ Thank you! ♥